Tuesday 20 June 2017

Square Waves







After making drawings for my last work Screen Loop, I became interested to see how much variation I could find within the parameters of square edged, right-angled compositions. These lines operate more like closed loops or the lemniscate [ ∞ ]  with illusory connexions hidden behind the visible structure.

During this process I began experimenting with colouring the compositions and saw that the strangeness of a freehand wobbling lines of alternating colours contained within the hard edge of the composition was a compelling extension of this logic.

After the small texta drawings (image 3) I moved to a larger drawing working with oil pastel on board (image 2). The oil pastel has a nice quality in the mixing of colours where they touch each other and overlap. This showed me more clearly what was possible with this technique and impelled me to go on.

Next I made another drawing on board, this time using Posca paint markers (image 1). The Posca comes out with vibrant hard edges, and the colour is more uniform and cleaner than the oil pastel.

I now intend to make a new painting in this style, using acrylic paint and have devised a system for its production. The working out and discovery of new logical systems that generate unpredictable images of controlled chaos is always a thrilling experience for me.

©ADG2017

No comments:

Post a Comment